Tuesday, January 12, 2021

ARM C38 class - my thoughts

 Hi all, 

Long time between posts. Life and work are obviously a long standing commitment so I'll keep this short and sweet. 

Early March 2020 news circulated that another RTR C38 was to hit the market by a new company called 'Australian Railway Models' which is owned by Southern Model. Supply, the distributor of Hornby models in Australia. 

A sample of the non streamlined model was displayed, along with a sample of a forthcoming streamliner (which I hear is due this year, fingers crossed on that one).

The model became available in November 2020 and it has probably been one of the best models released in recent times. Many people have began modelling and altering these models to better represent a 38. At $300, it's hard to turn down. 

The engines come with the expansion link set in reverse, so some alteration can fix that pretty easily. They lack a whistle, decent headlight and a smokebox door wheel. Just changing those items leaves you with a really decent looking engine. 

I have 2 of my own presently, one of which has a Eureka Models 3801 body fitted to, along with a Ctrl-P models tender underframe kit. 

3813 has been a long time goal to model and I'm edging closer to the finish line with it. 

The model has had a number of alterations, such as:

Sanding down over emphasised detail on the boiler, smokebox and valances 

Replacement of the headlight, turbo generator, smokebox door wheel, and the fitting of a whistle 

Adding grab irons to the sand box.

And a full repaint into the 1960's streamlined green. 

I'll include some images of the models I have in a future post, including alterations done to create the models I now have. 

Cheers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment