Friday, November 30, 2018

The subtle art of weathering

Hi all,

Today's my first actual post onto my blog, which gives me an opportunity to share some of my modeling.

Of late I've been engrossed in weathering which could be a good thing, also a bad thing. Of the things that have recently taken priority, has been some of my Austrains WHX wagons which are weathered to represent a late 70's rake mixed with BWH's. There are photos of this running as an export rake floating around on the internet, but they're a rarity to find.

For the weathering I have used only Tamiya paints, as I found they seem to be the easiest to work with. I had initially tried to weather the rake with powders in which wasn't a satisfactory result.

To start, the code boards are all masked off. In some cases, as are the worms. Tamiya XF54 Sea Grey is then airbrushed across the whole wagon to remove the silver finish, or in this case dull it down entirely.

From there I will remove the masking and we have a grey wagon. From there I use Tamiya XF10 flat brown and XF52 Flat Earth to weather the brake gear, side sills and the ends of the wagons including the bogies. It's a really simple process with good results.

I also have done some sprucing up of my mail train. The carriages are a mix of all, kitbashed Lima cars, Eureka, Workshop 5 and Austrains cars. All have had malthoid roofs applied (10mm Tamiya masking tape sprayed with Testors silver.

All weathered with XF10 and XF52 airbrushed with about 2 parts paint to 3 parts thinner.

Thanks all,

Mick.





No comments:

Post a Comment